Tuesday 27 March 2012

Cunard Crown Monarch (1994)


In 1994 I flew back from Singapore (where I was working at the time) specifically to join the recently inaugurated Cunard Crown Monarch for an eleven day cruise from Sydney to Cairns. The ship was a noticeable step up in quality and standards from any other cruise ships based in Australia up until then. I found her to be a lovely little ship with great food, staff and service. I would have happily cruised on her again but sadly she was poorly patronised and soon withdrawn from service. One problem was that the ship, being built for Caribbean cruises, was too small to ride ocean swells comfortably. Another was that her fares were a bit higher than the local market was generally used to.

The ship in Brisbane on 24th January, 1994.

In Townsville on 28th January, 1994.

Two of the wonderful Filipino bar staff.


The pool deck, which also featured a West Indian steel drum band.
My on board companions and the Executive Chef enjoying a morning refreshment on the pool deck.

The ship at anchor off Samarai Island, PNG on 30th. January, 1994.

My dining table mates and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment